Thursday, February 4, 2010

Review of Perfect You

Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott
Published: 2008
Pages: 284
Genre:  Young Adult/Realistic Fiction
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Goodreads says, "Kate Brown's life has gone downhill fast.  Her father has quit his job to sell vitamins at the mall, and Kate is forced to work with him. Her best friend has become popular, and now she acts like Kate's invisible.  And then there's Will. Gorgeous, unattainable Will, whom Kate acts like she can't stand even though she can't stop thinking about him. When Will starts acting interested, Kate hates herself for wanting him when she's sure she's just his latest conquest.  Kate figures that the only way things will ever stop hurting so much is if she keeps to herself and stops caring about anyone or anything. What she doesn't realize is that while life may not always be perfect, good things can happen -- but only if she lets them...."

I enjoyed this book and it was definitely a quick read.  This book captures the essence of what it's like to be a teenager and how friends and family can let you down.  Kate is a character that most girls can relate to and everyone knows a guy just like Will.  What really hit home for me was the character of Anna, who is her turncoat bff.  She treats Kate horribly now that she lost weight (as well as a conscience) and hangs with the popular crowd.  She ignores Kate and essentially uses her when it's convenient for her.  This part was tough to read for me, but Elizabeth Scott truly understand young adult girls.  I see this happen all the time in middle school.  You know the story.  It's not easy growing up and Scott portrayed this perfectly; I felt so bad for Kate.  Between you and me, I fantasized that Kate would stand up to Anna in a big way......like throw a large muffin at her head in the cafeteria!

Kate's parents were insufferable.  They were self-involved and immature.  Once again, I felt for Kate.  I think many teenagers can easily relate to Kate's situation at home and Scott makes it effortless to connect with her characters. With that said, Elizabeth Scott is the queen of teen angst.  I can't wait to read her new novel, The Unwritten Rule, which comes out March of 2010.
Buy It Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you!

 
Design by: Designer Blogs