Saturday, August 28, 2010

Review of Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Pages: 320
Genre:  YA Sci-fi
Pub. Date: August 24, 2010
My Rating:

*Some minor spoilers are included. 
If you haven't read the series yet, check out my review of the first book, The Hunger Games. 

Goodreads says, "Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.  It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.  The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost."

District Twelve is gone, and thankfully, Gale escaped along with Katniss's family.  Peeta has been captured by the capital and they are using him as a pawn in their deadly game.  Katniss, rightly so, is worried about Peeta and what the capitol might do to him.  All the survivors are at District 13, and yes, there is actually a District 13.  It's a sophisticated underground web of buildings.  District 13 is planning a revolution of sorts and they want Katniss to be the figurehead or Mockingjay.  Everything is riding on Katniss, but can she handle the consequences of being the Mockingjay?  Just as everyone suspected, Suzanne Collins has done it again.  Mockingjay is an excellent ending to one of the best trilogies I have ever read.

I'm not going to lie.  I was a bit worried as I read the first ten chapters. It wasn't hooking me in the traditional Collins fashion. I felt it was a slow start with too much background and not enough dialogue. It seemed, dare I say.....hokey and predictable?  But then Collins hits me around chapter 10 with her trademark literary karate chop and I am immediately dying for more.  I was desperately flipping the virtual pages of my Nook to find out what the heck was happening.  Collins hits the reader with chapter endings that were beyond suspenseful.  They were heartbreaking, gut-wrenching, and nail biting.  Simply said, and I am sure most would agree, Collins is an incredible author.

Katniss's story has come full circle, but she frustrated me a bit in this book.  I guess that is bound to happen at some point and it didn't take away from the fact that I think she is still one of the best female characters of all time.  I don't want to give too much away, but the whole love triangle frustrated me and her behavior regarding that situation.  And speaking of love triangle....Gale.  Hmmm. I was happy that this book focused more on Gale as I am a die hard Team Gale fan, but he kind of let me down.  There was something missing in his dialogue and actions in this book.  I can't really put my finger on it, but something was awry, which isn't good for me since my husband is Team Peeta and loves to rub it in.

With all that said, Mockingjay is dark, suspenseful and a brilliant conclusion to The Hunger Games series.  I am happy that this didn't turn out to be one of those series that goes on forever.  For me, a well-written trilogy is a million times better and more powerful than a lengthy series.  I find that no matter who I recommend this book to, whether it be a student of mine, a friend, a senior citizen, a reluctant reader, they fall in love with it.  And then what is so awesome is the fact that this book inspires a heated discussion, which I love, and then said reader is frantically trying to find the next book in the series.  From that, the reader get back into reading, which has become a lost art form for most.  As a teacher, I feel that Collins has a gift.  Even the most unenthusiastic reader becomes addicted to her memorable world.   This world she created and the extraordinary characters will stay with me and other readers for a very long time.  I know this sounds cheesy, but saying goodbye to this series is like saying goodbye to a friend and for me, that's a mark of a phenomenal and unparalleled novel that will undoubtedly become a young adult classic.



*Buy Hunger Games trilogy boxset
*Watch the Mockingjay trailer

2 comments:

  1. Great review.
    I also think this was ended well.
    I agree that there is something missing with Gale, but then again, there always has been and I am team peeta. I am glad that we got to see more of them in this book though, because I honestly felt I couldn't really NOT choose him because I don't know enough about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it's a great series, i have to disagree with you about this one. The whole last book was not anywhere as good as the other two. It was still good but in comparison with the hunger games and catching fire it went way down hill

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you!

 
Design by: Designer Blogs